Found some helpful information for fighting sexual sin. Even something many people see as small, simple and not having a damaging effect on the heart, soul or body: making out. The kiss that last for more than 30 seconds, the kiss that can lead to foreplay and may be involved in foreplay, the kiss that lasts longer than two minutes. The kiss that the Holy Spirit just maybe telling you to maybe stop participating in.
Making out isn’t clearly define in the bible as a sin. But if you know and have the Holy Spirit you know the experience of having Him convict you or nudge you that something isn’t right or maybe you should stop. My life so far with the Holy Spirit has taught me that He is specific. If you need to apologize to someone he can and will point it out. If to reconcile a relationship, He’ll point it out. If to show love or patience, he’ll point it out.If you have grieved Him, you’ll know.
Being in a relationship for over a year now, I say to those seeking purity: The fight to maintain purity among those who see certain behavior has nothing big or dangerous is tough. Remeber, God is tougher. He is strong. He loves you. He is willing to be your help. Many call Him warrior, that He is. Many call Him a refuge and a shelter, that He is. Many call Him comforter, that He is. He is compassionate and considering. Cry to Him if you need to. Praise Him always. He’s worthy of our praise even when we don’t know what to do, or how to handle what’s hurting us.
Here’s a few pointers in excerpt form form the article I mentioned earlier and the link to the entire article that should recommend be read completely because it has supporting and encouraging info and it holds more than the list it seems to be in this excerpt.
1. Recognize that sexuality is a good gift from God.
2. Recognize that Biblical prohibitions are intended to protect something precious not deny something pleasant.
3. Believe God is for you.
4. Ponder the eternal danger of lust.
5. Think often that God has given you even now many good things.
6. Preach to yourself that there is more joy in God’s presence than in sin. Transpose desire.
7. Realize that lust disables and weakens our capacity for higher spiritual joys with God.
8. Don’t ask, What’s wrong with it? Ask: Does it maximize my experience of the power of Christ, my enjoyment of his fellowship, my perception of his beauty, my reflection of his glory?
9. Cultivate a passionate devotion to the honor of God’s name.
10. Develop a worldview that views absolutely everything in relation to God.
11. (For singles) Recognize that sexual relations are not essential to full personhood and happiness.
12. (For the married) Recognize that God designed marriage to be a living parable of his commitment to the church.
13. Be vigilant over your eyes. Avoid unnecessary stimulation.
14. Look on the opposite sex as eternal persons. Realize that lust inevitably depersonalizes and despiritualizes people.
15. Think often that Christ suffered agony for your purity. Fight image with image. Christ crying in agony.
16. Beware of assuming past successes guarantee future purity.
17. Beware of feeling above accountability.
18. Do not be excessively alone.
19. Get in a group where you exhort one another every day against the deceitfulness of sin.
20. Memorize many scriptures.
22. Read the great literature of devotion, biography, etc.
‘When I read the stories of how much others have suffered and fought and struggled and achieved measures of joy and holiness and fruitfulness in fellowship with God it makes me want to give my all to this quest and settle for nothing less than all that a saved sinner can be for the glory of Christ.’
23. Never assume that you are above suffering or that you deserve relief through sin. The pitfall of powerful self-pity.
24. Get busy with some task.
25. Pray at all times in the Spirit for God’s deliverance.
26. Be encouraged; God is patient.
Strategies For Fighting Sexual Sin
Be Blessed & Stay Strong